February may be the shortest month of the year, but that doesn’t mean it can’t be packed with amazing travel plans
San Francisco, USA
In our San Francisco Travel Guide, our writers comment that San Francisco is a ‘seaside metropolis overflowing with boundless innovation in a mind-blowing setting’. While most people view San Francisco as a hippie stronghold in the 60s and 70s, then a playground of turtleneck-wearing techies from the 90s to this day, the city actually has many neighbourhoods with distinctive characters for visitors to explore.
When it comes to attractions, Alcatraz, California Academy of Sciences, Exploratorium, Golden Gate Park, Winchester Mystery House, are among the many sights worth exploring.
Interior views of the Alcatraz
Before you go
- Check if you need a visa to the USA.
- Search for your flights on Skyscanner where you can look through multiple flight options and are guaranteed to find Bluetooth Tour Guide Systemthe best and cheapest deals.
- Purchase attraction tickets with fast-track access on our Attractions in San Francisco page.
- Check out our San Francisco Travel Guide.
- When it comes to accommodation, our favourite is Hotel Nikko San Francisco, just a short stroll from Powell Street Station. You can compare hotels on this HotelsCombined.com page.
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain
From February 16 to March 1, sun-bleached Santa Cruz de Tenerife hosts the annual Carnival de Tenerife festival. Paying homage to the famous Brazilian Carnival Festival, the Tenerife celebrations are every bit as spectacular, offering a range of live bands, colourful processions and endless parties.
The event kicks off with a gala where the city selects this year’s Carnival Queen from a group of glamorous contestants dressed in elaborate, heavy costumes – some weighing up to 80kg. This is truly a spectacular sight to behold. Over the following weeks, the festival takes over the city in a series of glittery parties and towering parades that capture tourists and locals alike.
Apart from Carnival, Santa Cruz is home to impressive architecture, leafy plazas and a myriad of art galleries and museums. Museo Historico Militar de Canaries (Historical Military Museum of the Canary Islands), Museo de la Naturaleza y el Hombre (Museum of Nature & Man) and Museo de Historia y Antropologia de Tenerife (Museum of the History of Tenerife) are all worthy diversions.
Carnaval de Tenerife
Getting to Santa Cruz de Tenerife
As Tenerife is the largest and most populous of the Canary Islands with many airlines fly between Tenerife and major European cities. Choose the north airport, Los Rodeos, if you’re visiting Santa Cruz. Hop on over to Skyscanner to find the best deals and cheapest flights. Before you go, see our Tenerife travel guide.
Attend the glamorous Vienna Opera Ball on February 20, 2020. This mega event sees 150 couples dancing the opening polonaise in the grand auditorium of the Vienna State Opera House. Book your tickets in advance to avoid disappointment. In between dancing and sightseeing, make sure you leave time for coffee and cake. The best place to sample Vienna’s famous Sachertorte is at Café Sacher.
Before you go
- Search for your flights on Skyscanner where you can look through multiple flight options and are guaranteed to find the best and cheapest deals.
- Compare hotel prices on this HotelsCombined.com page.
- Check out the Vienna city guide.
Sachertorte at Café Sacher